The Charleville Returned and Services League Branch was formed in 1919.
During World War II, an air-time igloo situated near the current Charleville Airport, became a thriving dance hall where the Salvation Army and Red Cross coordinated dances for both Australian and American servicemen.
In the late 1940’s this dance hall was relocated to the corner of Watson and River Streets Charleville which is the current site of the Charleville RSL Club. The building became known as the Charleville Memorial Hall and a section of this dance hall was partitioned off to facilitate a bar where servicemen and ex-servicemen could come and enjoy an alcoholic beverage. Women were also allowed, although they were in another partitioned off section.
In January 1997 while some maintenance work was being performed at the Club, a fire broke out and completely destroyed the Club.
While the reconstruction process took place, a temporary club was established in Watson Street where Western Wholesalers now stands.
The new Club building was completed in September 1998 and recently has undergone some renovations to the outside area, reception area and office.New Major Refurbishment completed June 2014, at a cost of approx $950,000. New Gaming Room with 37 Gaming Machines, new Foyer and Admin area, removal of the TAB area and opened the whole area up like an open floor plan, relocated the TAB next to the Bar.
Policy, Rules and Regulations
As a registered club in Queensland, Charleville RSL is required to adhere to certain regulations. It also has policies in place in relation to member’s privacy and dress code. Details of these policies, rules and regulations can be found here.